What is software development (RFP) Request For ProposalA request for proposal or RFP is a business document, which announces and describes the project, usually posted by an organization aiming to receive a response from a potential software development company for the desired software solution. It indicates that bids for potential vendors to complete the project are sought. This document is usually written to start the ongoing conversation with your partner not to make the official statement, but, to establish a productive partnership. RFP contains a detailed description of the product the client is looking for, and project scope, and describes each evaluation criterion on which the proposal of the vendor will be assessed.
Typically, software development RFP includes
- General description of the organization, detailed information about the needed software development solution, evaluation criteria for the future vendor
- It may also contain a section called SOW(Statement of Work). It contains information about the expected timelines for deliverables and a general definition of the scope of work for the selected vendor.
- It may also contain the instructions and guidelines for the appropriate preparation of software projects and the format of the RFP response.
Why do companies need RFP for software development?When software projects require the implementation of a mix of various technologies, configurations, and sometimes vendors, an RFP may be requested. It contains the request for change of software and hardware infrastructure, and user training to integrate and establish a new ERP or CRM system. Moreover, it outlines the bidding process and software development contract terms. RFP may be also sent as a bid to cut the development cost for a software project. The quality of the document prepared by any customer directly influences the response from a software vendor. A customer sets clear expectations, detailed descriptions and a set of requirements. The quality of this document will impact the success or failure of the resulting IT solution.
Requirements for the RFPGenerally organizations issue request for proposal to spark competition among vendors and drive down the cost of the project realization. There are some general guidelines that will help you to create a proper RFP through all stages.
The beginningEach RFP starts with a company description, an overview of your overall project goals, limitations, and requirements. Mentioning your target audience will enable the potential vendor to get a better understanding of your business needs and objectives. Instead of stating the technical requirements, it is better to describe your needs, so that the software vendor will see the full picture. Describe the aim of the project, and identify the processes you want to improve and problems, which need to be solved. If the current solution you are using lacks some features, you should also mention it as well.
Project scope and deliverablesBe attentive and careful while working on this section of the document, since potential software vendors will use it as a basis for an accurate proposal. In this section you need to include the following details:
- Project infrastructure If you have the already implemented solution, identify what it lacks to ensure reliability, security, and high efficiency. Identify the changes you need to make to your networks and server room. Dwell upon the intellectual property protections and physical and data security concerns that need to be addressed.
- Product requirements In this section, you need to identify your expectations concerning how the future product will function. Mention the UI/UX expectations, system-related abilities, detail things that should be automated, mention the entity details, and describe the processes which should follow specific user actions.
- The list of experts Mention the members of your team who will be able to contribute to the future software development project. It may include target users, business area experts, business analysts, in-house software engineers, and designers.
Project management detailsThe whole section will concern the project management details, including details concerning Scrum and Kanban agile methodologies. Moreover, you have to dwell upon the project management tools, communication tools, development platforms, and testing methodologies. Moreover, you need to mention whether you would prefer the remote cooperation model, outstaffing, dedicated team, etc. You may also request the QA and testing policies as well as info on how they create the user and developer docs.
Timeline for accepting a proposalThis section should contain the details of the deadline with very detailed identification of the timelines – bid submitting, interviews, formal bids submission, identification of the candidates, final interviews, and candidates selection timelines. However, if you will provide enough time for the potential vendors, you will receive more responses to choose from.
Bid structureIn this section you need to identify, which information you need from each potential software development vendor. It will guarantee that vendors will structure the information in the same way, thus allowing you to make a side-by-side comparison. Here are the possible criteria, which could be included:
- Company name and background.
- Project management preferences.
- Qualifications of team members.
- A primary project plan.
- A vision of the final product.
- Plans for training and support
- Cost breakdown
RFP process flow
Key roles in RFP preparation processConsultant – understands the needs of the customer and adequately explains them within the RFP document. They choose qualified potential software development suppliers and assess the quality of services offered. Procurement expert -coordinates the Request for Proposal preparation process communicating with all team members to detect their pain points and select the best possible solution. They reach out to vendors with the initial request. Stakeholders – usually business stakeholders are working on the determination of the solution and key factors or features for consideration. They also take part in scoring the potential vendors. CFO – Chief Financial Officers are responsible for estimations and they also will evaluate the return on investment.
How to improve the quality of vendor proposals?Here are some tips helping to improve the quality of the received vendor proposals while posting RFP document.
- Define the scope and boundaries of the project in detail. The more accurately you will compile the RFP, the more exactly vendors will respond.
- Invite potential software development companies to a pre-proposal conference. It will allow interviewing vendors face to face.
- You can also make changes even after the request for proposal is posted by issuing an addendum to all participants.
Request for Proposal template for software development: Best practicesSince procurement experts do not have the time and abilities to create each RFP document from scratch, they use RFP template. It allows not only to save time but also to skip the time-consuming process of collecting question data and focus on a project review.
Project overview sectionEach document should comprise the project overview section. It should reflect the history of your business development and current needs. The more detailed proposal you will provide the easier it would be for software vendors to understand the needs, prospects and aspirations.
Measurable data for comparisonMake sure to ask quantifiable questions to get the answers you can measure. It will allow you to take the right decision by being oriented on your priorities. It will also help to establish the accurate scoring of the vendors and take data-driven smart decisions.
Tag questions by RFP typeCategorize the templates of RFP types. Such order and categorization will allow to quickly assess the needed section of questions and create the desired RFP template for your current needs.
Include terms, conditions, and policiesInclude the diversity requirements, conflict of interest policies, safety standards, and delivery requirements. Outline the proposal submission requirement to receive the responses in the desired format. Ask for possible suppliers’ limitations to understand the future prospects more clearly.
Our experience with RFP software developmentIn the modern competitive environment, the significance of the RFP for software development is indisputable. It has become a tool allowing to define and establish cooperation with a strong software development company. Our expertise with over 10 years in the market demonstrates that we build efficient and strong partnerships delivering software development services of the highest quality. Each project is treated with the utmost care. Our team will provide top-notch solutions in line with RFP requisites. A committed style of doing business, customer oriented approach and experienced team allow us to impress and retain customers, demonstrating the highest quality of software development service. We help companies to cover all the significant business operations, offer various working models, including team extension and dedicated team, and build productive cooperation.
Looking for a realiable vendor to jumpstart your project?
Share your idea, get expert consultation and launch the development now!